Sunday, July 15, 2012

Message to the Beau

This was a message to my boyfriend that I sent today, describing my adventure up Castle Hill. I impressed myself with the imagery, so I'm going to share it all with you.

*~*~

I wasn't going to write you today, but I had an adventure and I wish you were there with me. So I'm going to tell you about it. 

At the back of the old village there is this hill called "Castle Hill." It's covered with trees and foliage and the only ways up are steep inclines. Luckily for me, there are these stairs right behind one of my favorite places to grab a drink which coincidentally is an Irish pub named "The Snug." It has a great and relaxed atmosphere and once where you can just hang out and do nothing while sipping on a beer or a hot tea. 

Anyway, I passed the Snug and climbed up about 20 steps and a slowly inclining road to come to this wall covered with vines. Peaking over the wall were towering stone crosses and obelisks carved to look like cloth was draped over their tops. I had to check this place out.

Turns out, there's this huge graveyard up there. And when I say huge, I mean there were four different levels and I had to pee by the time I was done exploring it. 


Now, because the graveyard is french, the graves were all above ground and the granite boxes that held the people were decorated with elaborate monuments: Greek pillars, overhangs that look like chapels, women staring at these tombs with a melancholy air, or concrete angels watching the area with a wary gaze decorated this area. And it wasn't just one or two. No. This whole cemetery was full of them. All in white limestone or black granite too. 

It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Like I said, I had to pee, so I went to the Snug for a bathroom break and a beer before climbing the mountain, or Castle Hill, again.

This time I passed the cemetery, passed the place where we watched fireworks for the 14th of July, and made my way to the top. 

It was so breathtaking Nick. 

The city was sprawled out in front of me like some rust colored skirt, the snaking roads looking like sand colored pleats in the fabric. 

Then there was the sea.


Close to shore, where people looked like bright colored stones, the water was a crystalline blue. Purer and brighter than the sky. Then farther out, almost as if a line had been drawn where the land fell away into darkness, the water turned a rich navy. Waves rolled peacefully by, jostling boats and swimmers alike before crashing to shore. The sun scattered gold dust over everything, so it looked like the water was threaded with diamonds that winked and waved as it moved. 

Cool breeze rustled my hair and danced over my face as I looked out. I have to admit, my heart ached. I wanted and want so much to share all this with you. 

After admiring the view, I found a nice, shady bench and read a bit more of Harry Potter before making my way back down the "hill." 

On the way down, there were also some nice waterfalls that sprayed a fine mist over its onlookers while rainbows danced over the rocks and played in the spray. After the work out of climbing up this hill, the cold water was a welcome relief. 

Now, scattered all over the hill were couples. Couples resting together, embracing, kissing in the shade, and doing couple-y things made me feel warm on the inside, and a little sad. 


I think that place is the most I've felt at peace here in Nice, and one of the places that make me realize how much I want you here with me.


I can't wait to see you. I love you!!









No comments:

Post a Comment