Saturday, May 12, 2012

Afternoon: Mother's Day

I know today is the day before Mother's Day, but I'm working on my mom's gift today. Hopefully it will all be dry by the time I get home, but I'm not so sure.

You see, I'm doing a painting for my mom. I'll probably bake a cake for her on Sunday (red velvet, her favorite) because I've discovered an aptitude for baking, but I wanted to give her something from the heart.

So that's where art comes in right? Unfortunately, the relationship between my mother and I is... complicated to say the least. I can't paint a picture that describes unconditional love and devotion, because frankly, I'm too angry with her for that.

But I can paint something with a double meaning.

I can paint longing.

You see, my mom is in Texas working on getting her PhD, which is great and all, but the physical distance between us gave me an idea for this picture.

In the background I'll paint one of my skies. Surreal looking, and definitely watercolor..y. Then when that dries I will paint two cliffsides that face each other, in the distances, the ground below will be black or dark gray, or a mix. On the cliffsides will be two female figures facing each other with their arms outstretched to each other.

Over the chasm, in between the two figures, a heart will float.

The heart is cheesy, but there you have it. Perhaps I'll write in fancy cursive "Thinking of you wherever you are..." or whatnot.

... I think it's a good idea.
 I've already sketched out the figures in crayon on a notecard and once my sky is dry, will probably gently sketch out the cliffs.

I think I'll give it to her before I leave for school. Or slip it into her purse when she's not looking or something.

Another thing I think I'll do, if Frank criticizes my baking, is stop what I'm doing and tell him to finish it.

I wish I were that brave... or foolhardy.

On a completely different note, I finished Insurgent in one day. WOW! What a book! It wasn't like a lot of "seconds" in a series where it's just preparing you for the next step without really being engaging or superfantastic, it was just as action packed as the first. Even more so, I believe.

I'm sort of bummed that I have to wait a whole 'nother year for the next book to come out. Good thing I have a few more books to look forward to this summer!! I might be able to pick up a few in france while I'm at it.

That's all I really wanted to talk about. You'll be seeing me around.
Love and Peace
Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment