Friday, January 25, 2013

Snow

Looks like the time has finally come for me to break out all those Vitamin D pills I bought last year. I'm getting more use out of my knee high winter boots than I have ever before, and I find myself scraping my car off at night so there's less to do in the morning. That shovel I bought years ago is finally scraping ice and concrete away from tires of small cars so they can pull out of their parking spots.

Yes, my friends, winter has arrived in Allendale. That means my thoughts enter an emotional roller coaster, I want to drive as little as possible, and working out becomes something of the bane of my existence for the single reason of actually having to bundle up, go to the gym, undress, then bundle up again. So now, you'll find me in front of the TV doing jumping jacks and sit ups instead of running my ass off at the gym.

As for school, it is getting fairly busy. We are now at the point in my capstone where we must have some idea of where we want to go with our project. Instead of examining the relationships of the characters and the untraditional idea of power that Stroud writes about, I see my theme changing into what constitutes good and evil as examined by Stroud in his novel Amulet of Samarakand.

Honestly, I'm not sure that's even a good topic.

Maybe I should just do a complete analysis of the themes of Moby Dick and then run with that. I have a feeling it might be a little easier.

Work is going well too. There's a director at one of the places who terrifies the snot out of me, but that's alright. I'm learning her ways and she's learning mine. I love the little kids most of the time, but I realize that I need to do a little bit more planning with my lessons so they're more interesting for my kids. That way, I can spend the whole time with them instead of spending half of the lesson telling them to get back to the learning area because we're doing music class and not fuck-around-with-everything-else-in-the-room class.

Campus dining is going really well too! I don't have much to do and my hours are spectacular. Even though, between my two jobs, I'm making roughly the same amount I had been before, I find I like this schedule a lot better.

Actually, I'm thinking of picking up voice lessons for the remainder of the semester before I return home and find an actual teacher. I figure, I have the money to do all this, I might as well start on it now so I have a head start for the summer. That way, I can find something and do something that I actually like doing instead of just school and work.

However, I don't know how well this plan will go. So I guess I'll keep you updated on whether or not I gather up the courage to email the voice professor who gives out lessons.

I guess that's all I have to say for now. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me in the meantime.

Love and Peace
Elie

No comments:

Post a Comment